Friday, January 21, 2011

Leaving on a prop plane...

T minus 7 hours. Sitting in the Miami hotel trying to convince myself I'm sleepy even though it's only 8pm at home. We leave for the airport at 4:30am (ie 3:30 at home).

Just had dinner with the crew and am so excited to get started. It is so clear that anything we can do to help is so much more than they have. We are the first surgical crew to be at the hospital in 6 months! There will be a line of patients waiting for us Monday morning. We will do 8-10 cases a day. My roll will be triage and post-anesthesia care, though the MD who is leading us said the best approach is No Expectations. We will do whatever needs to be done. She said to expect at least one death, and the orphanage is so heartbreaking (all disabled kids, CP, incontinence, MR) that we may not be able to stomach it.

Tomorrow will be getting settled and taking it all in. I'll post when I can. It may be more for me than anyone else...

1 comment:

Christopher said...

love ya! Hope it goes well. Do good! (in all senses...)